9.30pm: Firefighters will work through the night to contain a bushfire burning out of control at Long Point, north of Orange.
New Year's Eve fireworks triggered the blaze, which has already left a young man with burns to his face, chest and feet.
Crews from Orange, Cabonne, Bathurst and Mudgee worked throughout the day to contain the fire, which has now scorched about 150 hectares of rugged terrain. The crews will spend Tuesday night backburning and protecting nearby rural properties and the historic village of Hill End from possible ember attacks.
Three helicopters and five fixed-wing aircraft will drop water on the blaze tomorrow morning, while 11 pieces of heavy machinery will be used to build containment lines.
The fire is travelling in a north-east direction and jumped to the northern side of the Macquarie River early Tuesday evening, according to a NSW Rural Fire Service spokesman. There are a number of properties nearby but none are under any immediate threat.
Shortly before 2pm on Tuesday, residents in the vicinity of the fire were advised to pack up and move to a safer location or prepare to defend their properties. Several properties to the east were under serious threat at the time.
View Long Point Crossing fire in a larger map
The NSW RFS has declared the blaze a Section 44 incident, which allows for additional funding and resources to be brought in from outside the area.
NSW RFS Canobolas Zone Superintendent David Hoadley said a large number of resources had already deployed to the fire but residents must be prepared if it continued to spread.
“We have a number of ground crews as well as aircraft and heavy earth moving equipment on route or currently fighting the fire,’ he said.
“There are ten ground crews, 11 heavy earth moving equipment, plus...aircraft working on the fire.
“Crews are working as quickly as possible to control the fire but the terrain and weather conditions are making this difficult at the present time. We are seeing low humidity and moderate winds fan the blaze.
“I urge all residents in the area to prepare their homes and have their bush fire survival plan ready to activate if the situation worsens.
Fire crews believe the blaze was triggered by fireworks on Monday night, however investigations are ongoing.
Paramedics said they were called to a campsite on Long Point Road shortly before midnight to treat a 29-year-old man who had suffered burns to his face, chest and feet.
He was taken to Orange Hospital in a stable condition. His current condition is not known.
Advice from the NSW Rural Fire Service:
* Only homes that are specially designed, constructed or modified to withstand a bush fire and that are properly prepared and actively defended may provide safety during the fire.
* Check and follow your Bush Fire Survival Plan now. If you are physically and mentally prepared to defend your home, get ready to take shelter as the fire impacts.
* If you don’t have a Bush Fire Survival Plan, ensure you know what you will do if the fire does threaten your property.
* If your home is unprepared, or you plan to leave, go to a safer location now if the path is clear. This may include a neighbouring property or other cleared area close by that is not at risk from fire.
* Your current location, proximity to the bush and distance to a safer location should be considered before leaving.
* If you are in doubt or the path is not clear, seek shelter as the fire approaches. If you are caught in the path of the fire you may die or be injured. Protect your body from radiant heat, smoke inhalation and flying embers by covering your skin with protective clothing made from natural fabrics.